Queensland Symphony Orchestra’s Symphony Under the Stars returns to Gladstone in August 2021, marking the ninth consecutive year this popular musical showcase has come to town.
The Marina Parklands will host Symphony Under the Stars once again with the free event taking place from 7pm on Friday 27 August. Based around the theme of Around the World, attendees will be taken on a journey to the icy beauty of Finland as Sibelius’ Finlandia is performed, step into a bustling Bohemian village and enjoy Dvořák’s Slavonic Dances and feel the magic of Totoro, one’s of Japan’s most-loved animated characters.
Gladstone Region Mayor Matt Burnett said respected conductor Guy Noble will return to front the Queensland Symphony Orchestra.
“Previous Symphony Under the Stars attendees will be familiar with Guy’s achievements,” Councillor Burnett said.
“Guy has an extensive resume including stints with the Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, Western Australian, Tasmanian, Queensland and Canberra symphony orchestras, as well as the Auckland Philharmonia Orchestra and the Hong Kong Symphony and Malaysian Philharmonic orchestras.
“Guy has worked with a wide variety of international performers including Harry Connick Jr, Ben Folds, The Beach Boys, Glenn Frey, Randy Newman, Olivia Newton John and many others.”
The 2021 Symphony Under the Stars program includes:
- ROSSINI William Tell Overture and Galop
- TCHAIKOVSKY March and Danse russe trepak from The Nutcracker
- SCULTHORPE Small Town
- DVOŘÁK Slavonic Dances Op. 72, No.7
- COPLAND Fanfare for the Common Man
- GRIEG In the Hall of the Mountain King from Peer Gynt
- BRUCH Romance in F major, for Viola & Orchestra
- HANDEL Royal Fireworks Music, HWV 351
- HISAISHI My Neighbor Totoro
- BORODIN In the Steppes of Central Asia
- SHARPE Blades of Toledo
- SIBELIUS Finlandia, Op.26.
Visit www.gladstoneentertainment.com for more information about Symphony Under the Stars.