Level 2 water restrictions have been introduced in Nimbin, effective immediately.
Lismore City Council Director of Infrastructure Services Peter Jeuken said the restrictions were necessary as the water level in Mulgum Creek continued to fall.
“Due to reduced flows in Mulgum Creek, it has become necessary to implement water restrictions within the Nimbin water supply for the village,” he said.
“For some time, we have been adjusting the operation of the water supply to manage reduced creek flows. However, with the long-term forecast showing little signs of consistent rainfall, these restrictions are now necessary to secure the water supply.
“We know many people have already reduced their water consumption, and we thank them for that.
“It’s important everyone continues to do their bit to conserve water as making small changes in how we use water will really help our water storage supplies last longer.”
He said by introducing Level 2 now, the Council is hoping to delay implementing Level 3 or 4 restrictions. We will continue to monitor water consumption to ensure proper management of the water supply in Nimbin.
Under Level 2 water restrictions residents:
- Can only use micro-sprays and drippers/sub-surface irrigation for a maximum of 15 minutes.
- Hand-held hoses with an on-off nozzle can only be used for half an hour every second day, between the hours of 4pm and 9am on odd or even days matching your house number.
- Other irrigation, such as sprinklers, and unattended hoses are banned.
- Filling of new swimming pools is permitted, but topping up is allowed only between 4pm and 9am using a hand-held house with one-off nozzle.
- Top up of fountains and water features is not permitted except to maintain fish life.
- Washing of driveways, paved areas, walls, windows, roofs and paths permitted prior to sale or lease of property only with council approval. Not permitted for any other reason, except for health and safety. Must use high-pressure/low-flow rate cleaner.
- Washing of cars permitted with buckets or hand-held hose for ten minutes only between 4pm and 9am on odd and even days matching your house number.
The same restrictions apply to commercial premises with the exceptions that:
- Sprinklers can be used for up to 30 minutes per day for sports fields between 5am and 7am.
- Market gardens, orchids, nurseries can use sprinklers or sprays for one hour a day between 5am and 7am, or 5pm and 7pm.
For a Q&A on the restrictions, water hints and tips, and a factsheet please go to the news section of the council’s webpage: https://www.lismore.nsw.gov.au/cp_themes/default/home.asp
Source: Lismore City Council