The Seafood Industry Awards hosted by the NT Seafood Council recognised outstanding industry achievements, showcasing the depth of talent and entrepreneurship of the industry and its value to the Northern Territory economy.
Categories including Seafood Business (big and small), Industry Ambassador, Industry Young Achiever and People’s Choice Best Take-Away Fish and Chip see industry, government and hospitality sectors come together to celebrate their collective achievements.
Taking home the gong for both Judges Choice and People’s Choice Take-Away fish and chips, Frying Nemo proved themselves as the local benchmark for the ever popular take-away choice.
Recognised for his dedication to the industry Chris Calogeras was nominated for the National Seafood Industry Hall of Fame for over 30 years of service.
Known for his dedication to the industry and having a unique background in both the public and private sectors including with Fisheries NT, as a business operator, researcher and industry consultant, Mr Calogeras is well-deserving of his nomination.
Bob Richards of Humpty Doo Barramundi was also recognised for his lobbying efforts for national legislation reform to see a country of origin label on all seafood and was acknowledged for his efforts via the Industry Ambassador Award.
Department of Primary Industry and Resources own Aquaculture Research Officer Sam Nowland was recognised as the industries young achiever for her innovative research on tropical oysters, working in partnership with Traditional Owners to develop a new industry.
The full list of 2019 winners are:
- Business Award (Small): Mr Barra Pty Ltd
- Business Award (Large): Monsoon Aquatic
- NT Judges Choice – Take-Away Fish and Chips Award: Frying Nemo Fish and Chippery
- NT People’s Choice Choice – Take-Away Fish and Chips Award: Frying Nemo Fish and Chippery
- Industry Ambassador Awards: Bob Richards
- People Development Award (Highly Commended): Affectus
- Restaurant Award: Snapper Rocks Bar and Kitchen
- Safety Award: Paspaley Pearling Company
- Young Achiever: Samantha Nowland
- 2019 National Hall of Fame Nominee: Chris Calogeras
Source: NT Government