The State Government has committed to providing Basketball WA with $20,000 to co-ordinate and deliver a community basketball program in the Shire of Carnarvon.
Announcing the initiative in Carnarvon, Sport and Recreation Minister Mick Murray said the project will stimulate participation and leadership in basketball, particularly for young people, and create long-term opportunities.
Basketball WA will implement the program as part of a working group that includes WA Police and Community Youth Centres (PCYC) and the Stephen Michael Foundation.
The working group will also include:
- Aboriginal Biodiversity Conservation (ABC) Foundation Ltd;
- Ngala Mid West Gascoyne;
- Shire of Carnarvon; and
- Department of Local Government, Sport and Cultural Industries.
The working group will devise a basketball program that will target the following groups:
- Children – via Aussie Hoops program and engagement;
- Youth – via Night Hoops, 3on3 games and community engagement activities; and
- Senior – via 3on3 competition and activities.
Source: WA Govenment