The Victoria Tourism Industry Council calls on the Victorian Government to use the 2019-20 State Budget to develop and implement a long-term strategic vision for the State. This needs to include sustained funding commitments to key agencies tasked with driving the demand for Victoria, significant investment in regional Victoria’s tourism products, experiences and transport solutions, and the development of a dedicated Nature-Based Tourism Strategy to support promotion of our natural assets.
The Victoria Tourism Industry Council’s 2019/20 State Budget recommendations include:
- Sustained and adequate funding over the four year forward estimates to ensure Visit Victoria, Melbourne Convention Bureau and Business Events Victoria are resourced to be effective in a highly competitive global market
- Significant investment to support major development of Tourism Infrastructure in Regional Victoria
- Redevelopment of the Bendigo Airport Terminal to accept more direct interstate services
- Upgrades to the Queenscliff and Sorrento Ferry Terminals to accommodate growing demand
- Use the Victorian Regional Tourism Review to develop a dedicated Nature-Based Tourism Strategy for Victoria
- Commit to funding Master Planning process for the Croajingolong National Park to finally complete the Four Iconic Walks of Victoria
- Forward estimate commitments to ensure the Federation Square Review will result in a detailed and costed Masterplan for the long-term vision and development of Federation Square and five-year funding support for the vision to expand Werribee Open Range Zoo as a cornerstone attraction for the burgeoning western Melbourne growth corridor.
Source: Victoria Tourism Industry Council